Google
 
Web my-twocents.blogspot.com

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Middle East Updates

Israel strikes deeper into Lebanon, and expands its ground offensive to more border towns and also near the Syrian border. Trying to weaken Hezbollah before a ceasefire and to - at the end of the campaign - say, "We won, NOW we are going home." Others and I believe this is so because, as it stood Sunday before the expanded ground operation, Israel was seen and saw itself as losing.

I will not predict the outcome or the effectiveness of the ground offensive as I really could not tell you if they will achieve a 'victory' (at least a 'do-people-perceive-us-as- the-victors victors).

If you define victory as eliminating the threat of Hezbollah on your northern border, or define it in terms of weakening Hezbollah and reducing its prestige, power, influence, than no I guess I do not believe there will be a 'victory'. (Oh, how easy I reverse myself. lol)

It really is about what one defines as victory. Israel seems content to determine victory in very narrow and limited terms. It can do that if it wishes but most peoples view of 'victory' in this conflict does not line up with such a narrow view.

Immediate Ceasefire in Everyones Interest - In TPMCafe by Ricken Patel

Now, go and learn something dammit!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home